ICMA invites you to consider the unique background and perspective that you can bring to the association as a board member. ICMA Regional Vice Presidents play a critical leadership role within the local government management profession, represent members in their geographic region, and serve three-year terms.
- October 17, 2023: Call for candidate nominations to serve as regional vice presidents officially opens. Members eligible to serve the 2024-2027 term in their region are notified of their eligibility by email and invited to apply for ICMA Executive Board service.
- January 12, 2024: Deadline for eligible members to submit their materials.
- March-April 2024: Regional Nominating Committees in each region (International, Midwest, Mountain Plains, Northeast, Southeast, West Coast) convene virtually to interview candidates and select one nominee to appear as the region's recommended candidate on ICMA’s annual election ballot for consideration by the membership.
- April 30, 2024: Annual election ballot opens to the membership. Voting begins.
- May 31, 2024: Ballot closes. Voting ends.
Eligibility to Serve the 2024-2027 Regional Vice President Term
In accordance with ICMA’s Constitution, only ICMA Corporate (voting) members serving in a full-time, appointed position to a local government qualify to compete to serve on the executive board. This includes:
1. Full members, i.e., chief administrative officers (CAOs) or assistant/deputy CAOs.
2. Affiliate members who have a minimum of five years of service to a local government and five years of membership in ICMA, i.e., assistants/deputies/department heads/entry to mid-level management or other appointed local government professionals.*
* Affiliate members meeting the criteria stated above may only compete during their region’s designated non-CAO year. The 2023-2024 election year is the designated non-CAO year for the Northeast and Southeast regions only.
Qualified members are also subject to the rotation system and selection criteria in the geographical protocols within their region’s Regional Nominating Agreement. The rotation of states/countries and position types changes every year and annual requirements differ by region. Members should review the customized regional protocols and the historical representation of states and countries for their region in detail by visiting ICMA’s website.
Apply by January 12, 2024
Eligible members who would like to be considered by their region’s Nominating Committee for the 2024-2027 vice president term, must submit the following items to ICMA by January 12, 2024. All items must be emailed in a single PDF packet/attachment to ICMA at firstname.lastname@example.org. Late materials will not be accepted:
- A statement of your qualifications for board service and your view of the issues facing ICMA. Two-page limit.
- Current resume.
- A list of any contributions you have made to ICMA and state/affiliate organizations, such as service on a committee, board, etc.
- Thoughtful letters of support from members or letters of endorsement from state or affiliate associations that can aid the Regional Nominating Committee in understanding your qualities, achievements, and potential contributions to the board (Optional, but recommended).
- Petition signed by 15 ICMA Corporate members (Optional, not required).
Reach Out for Guidance
Individuals who are interested in pursuing this leadership opportunity can reach out to their state or country association leadership, affiliate organization leadership, current or former ICMA regional vice presidents, and ICMA regional directors:
- International: Peter Agh at email@example.com
- Midwest: Matt Fulton at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mountain Plains: Karen Daly at email@example.com
- Northeast: Jerry Giaimis at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Southeast: Randall Reid at email@example.com
- West Coast: Pat Martel at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can learn more about the eligibility requirements for your region, the role and expectations of board service, the nominations and election process, and the 2023-2024 schedule by visiting the website.
New, Reduced Membership Dues
A new, reduced dues rate is available for CAOs/ACAOs, along with additional discounts for those in smaller communities, has been implemented. Learn more and be sure to join or renew today!