The Local Government Management Fellowship (LGMF) is a career-development opportunity designed to attract recent MPA/MPP (or related programs) graduates to be placed in full-time management-track local government positions. Finalists are selected based on academic performance, demonstrated leadership potential, commitment to public service, communication skills, initiative, creativity, and positive attitude. They then interview for 12-month fellowship appointments at local governments across the country, during which they receive direct mentorship from a senior government leader at the organization. (Appointments may be extended beyond the one-year term.) Since the program's launch in 2004, many alumni fellows are now in chief administrative officers or assistant chief administrative officers; many others are in senior positions in local government. See where fellows are now.
To be eligible to participate in the Local Government Management Fellowship, an applicant must:
- Be a recent graduate or student enrolled in a public administration, public policy, or related field master's degree program.
- Satisfy all of the requirements for their degree program by August 31 of the year of the fellowship.
- Have no formal local government management work experience.
- Be eligible to work in the United States.
- Complete the LGMF application by the closing date.
Salary and Benefits Packages
Salary and benefits packages for fellows vary based on a number of factors and are determined by the host city. Both will be discussed with fellows at the end of the interview process, if they are to be offered a position with the host city.
Those individuals placed in an LGMF host community receive:
- Complimentary ICMA membership for two years.
- Complimentary registration to the ICMA Annual Conference.
- Complimentary registration to an ICMA regional conference.
- Complimentary access to ICMA's Management Assessment.
- Complimentary subscription to PM magazine.
Questions? Contact ICMA at email@example.com.
- Become a Fellow
- Frequently Asked Questions (Fellows)
- Recorded Webinar on LGMF Application Process
- LGMF Placement Regions
- Where Fellows Are Now
- Fellow Directory
- Sign Up to Host
- Share a Fellow